Pages

Working in the library

 Tuesday (Nov, 21) evening, a woman, a regular visitor, called the library. And she said, “Oh, I am glad that it's you!".

The phrase I managed to say into the phone was: “Good evening, Wilks Library.” And the woman recognized me.





Well, of course, you can not hear me or not understand me, but it is impossible not to recognize my accent.😅

Especially since I'm the only one in all of New Bedford libraries. And also for the entire library network (SAILS) of our region, which includes 70 libraries.

To be honest, at such moments I feel in my place. “Such” minutes are when people know that I will make every effort and use all available databases to help them (most often it's ordering books).


Working with books, a love of reading is what many people think about working in a library.

In fact, it is customer service (communicating with visitors, the ability to use a PC, knowing how and where to look for information, which means loving Google, the desire to help, not forgetting to smile and say “ I am sorry” (even if it is not your fault).


And personally, I have always wanted to be able to use the knowledge of my native language in my work. Despite the situation in the world.


And by the way, this summer I had such an opportunity.

The heads of our library network decided to add to the software the option of opening e-cards in different languages. That's how I found out that there is only one Russian employee in our system, and that's me.

It was interesting, sometimes unclear, sometimes needed “the help of a friend" and not only one friend. I finished my part of the work (by the way, it was volunteering), I don't know exactly when all the changes will be applied to SAILS. I hope this option will be really useful.


And now it's raining. Such autumn weather, when you want to light a fireplace, bake a cake and read a book wrapped in a warm blanket.

I'm going to do the laundry, put the house in order and bake Pizzelles (Italian waffles), tomorrow we'll take them to a family Thanksgiving dinner.





Happy Thanksgiving!


Or relaxing days off!


No comments:

Post a Comment